Re: A cool thing about our cars

To: "Larry Colen" <lrcar@red4est.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A cool thing about our cars
From: "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 19:44:45 -0500
Larry,

Kelvin beat me to the draw on that painted lady business.

It's gratifying to receive comments on our cars, especially since most of us
work our tails off keeping them drivable, presentable, showable, or
whatever. I've had people chase me down to ask about our cars. We get the
most comments on the Magnette ZB.

There seem to be three basic types of questioners: the reserved inquirer,
who always starts out: "What year is that," implying that they know the
make; they usually don't. Next is the straightforward: "What kind of car is
that?" You can hold forth with these folks for a long time, as they are
really curious. The last is the gusher, whom, I think, is really enthralled
with making a new discovery, although they might not hang around long enough
for the full explanation.

Here is one of my favourites from a feller who chased me down in a K-Mart
parking lot in Branson, Missouri. (Remember, the Magnette is a non-standard,
non-threatening sky blue in color.)

"What kinda car is that?"

"It's an MG!"

"I thought they only made little convertibles."

"Well, they made a few four-doors."

"It looks just like a cartoon car!"

You gotta love it!.

Cheers,