Re: V8 Bushings

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, <MGBracer80@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: V8 Bushings
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 20:33:29 -0700
I hate to rain on Monte's parade, so to speak, but allow me to clear up a
small item of incorrect information that he posted. The metal sleeve portion
of the V8 bushing does not (or certainly should not) rotate about the "arm"
(otherwise known as the A-arm pivot). Tightening the large nut should force
the large flat washer to jam the metal sleeve against the inner end of the
A-arm pivot. The rotational movement is obtained by the flexing of the
rubber inside the A-arm. This, of course, is why it is important not to
tighten the nut until the car's weight is firmly down on the suspension, so
that the unstressed position of the rubber is in the center of the up and
down movement of the suspension arms.

I hope this is clearer than it sounds upon re-reading it......

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center