RE: V8 Bushings

To: "'Chuck Renner'" <crenner@dynalivery.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: V8 Bushings
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 13:44:47 -0700
if all of
> the motion in the arm is supposed to be taken up by shear
> forces in the
> bushing, why is it that poly bushes are prone to squeaking if not
> sufficiently lubed?
>
> If anyone can clear this up for me, I'd be appreciative.

Picking up where Lawrie left off.

Poly Bushes and Nylon bushes do not work by shear.  They do pivot, therefore
need to be self lubricating, or have some provision for lubrication.

The Triumph TR3 is a good example of an original front suspension that uses
nylon on steel pivots.  The drawback is that the pivot points must be clean
and aligned for the bushings to work effectively without binding.

Kelvin.