Re: grease fitting on drive shaft.

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: grease fitting on drive shaft.
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:11:21 -0700
I think those are "zerks", but anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if they came
in different threads. Just go to the auto parts store and get the right
ones, or an assortment.

The "indent" is a cutaway on the yoke that allows clearance for the head of
a grease gun to access the zerk once the u-joint is in place. It's a pretty
subtle indent, and it is not very obvious which way you want it to face (or
more precisely, which way the u-joint faces compared to the cutaway). I
found I had to test fit the u-joint cross without bearings to visualize the
assembled relationship. Perhaps someone who has done this more recently can
simply tell you "it faces the back" or "the front", but I can't.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149