Re: What is this thing? (On ebay...)

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What is this thing? (On ebay...)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 10:50:17 -0700
The term "suicide knob" refers to a rotating knob attached to the rim of a
steering wheel so that, using one hand, you can rapidly spin the wheel
lock-to-lock. It is more commonly seen on heavy vehicles with slow steering
ratios and no power steering (vans and trucks). I can't imagine why one
would want one on an MG of any type (light vehicle with quick steering
ratio). AFAIK they are illegal in most jurisdictions (the idea being they
interfere with normal two-handed operation). My father was a truck driver,
and he used to use it primarily for backing into tight spaces (looking over
his shoulder while steering with one hand).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149