Re: Cooliong question and thanks

To: "Phil" <jello@ida.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cooliong question and thanks
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 09:17:15 +0100
When is it losing it?  If during warm-up that can simply be normal expansion
and pushing out of an excess, if so the level will still be above the rad
tubes when cooled back down again.  If it still pushes it out while driving,
and the level when cool drops below the rad tubes, then that does indicate
some overheating problem.  It shouldn't be a head gasket unless very severe,
which should be obvious, as any small amounts of air will work their way to
the top of the header tank and when the pressure in the system exceeds that
of the cap it is simply the air that is vented off.  If it vomits water
shortly after you have switched off again that indicates overheating, or a
weak cap.  Check the cap, the last one I bought was marked 15lb but in fact
had a 12lb spring.