Re: overheating-and of course another question.

To: "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>,
Subject: Re: overheating-and of course another question.
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 15:29:49 -0600
On Sat, 07 Sep 2002 15:11:24 -0500, MonteMorris wrote:

>took it out for a 20 mile drive and edged it towards 90 mph on a lonely
>stretch of road, then to town and several stops and starts. Temperature
>remained normal after all this except for the first 10 minutes of driving.

My experience is that at 90 it isn't going to get hot.  You've got
about a 90mph wind blowing over your radiator, and your fan does little
at that speed anyway.  When you are stopped is where you have to depend
entirely on the fan.

>New question:
>I used everyones advice and pulled all the suggested smog gear, that has never
>been hooked up since I've owned the car. I did manage to get the air injection
>manifold off undamaged. I plugged off all the holes except the one created by
>the adaptor that goes from the gulp valve into the head or manifold. It is
>unthreaded and was semi-sealed with some red, flexible, plastic-looking
>"stuff".
>What do I use to plug this hole and what sealant?

I don't know what hole you are referring to.  Into the air intake
manifold, or the head somewhere else?

If it is the head, then I think I would have a heli-coil, or other
method of threading installed in the hole.
Then plug it with the same method you used on the others.

If it is the one that goes into the air intake, mine has a short rubber
hose clamped on it and the other end plugged shut.

--
Andrew Lundgren
lundgren@byu.net