Re: More air in interior

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More air in interior
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:40:50 -0700
on 9/8/02 2:31 PM, Steve Krane at orangemgb@juno.com wrote:

> Dear List:
>
> I am considering fabricating / purchasing some kind of scoop to place
> over the air intake to get more air into the cockpit of my GT.
>
> Has anyone done this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Hmm, I'm not sure if that will make much difference. The intake is located
in a high-pressure area already (at the base of the windscreen). Although a
scoop may look like it would direct more air into the intake, I suspect you
might be doing everything possible just by ensuring the maximum pressure
differential --  keeping the cockpit at a low relative pressure by leaving
the vent or quarter windows open.

The reason I say this is that, if you recall the muscle cars of the 60's
sporting hood scoops, it was quickly determined that the only effective
functional position for these scoops was actually aiming backward towards
the base of the windscreen, taking advantage of the high pressure area. The
forward facing scoops were in a low-pressure area in the middle of the hood,
and thus tended to work in reverse. While a forward-facing scoop over the
air intake wouldn't have this negative effect, I don't think it would have
much positive effect either.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149