Re: MGF mid-engine or not? / Stylish or not ?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGF mid-engine or not? / Stylish or not ?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:58:11 -0700
Well, it's hard to beat the classics. Also, the long hood/swoopy fender look
of the MGA, which we associate with sporting automobiles ("we" meaning those
of us who came of age before the mid-engine revolution), is an aesthetic
that cannot be applied to mid-engine cars -- it would look ridiculous and
disproportionate (in much the same way as the pseudo-wedge styling of the
TR7 looked silly, trying to imitate the trendy mid-engine look).

For all that, I thought the MGF was reasonably attractive, and the new TF
version is an improvement (or at least a fashionable freshening-up).

For a really ugly modern design, I nominate the Qvale Mangusta. I just saw
one on my way home from the Palo Alto BCM. Ironically, this vehicle is the
basis for the new MG X80 sports car. The styling of this MG may be somewhat
controversial, but it is light years ahead of the original design, believe
me.

BTW, how old do you have to be to qualify as an OF?

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149