When "Classic" really meant "Classic"...

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: When "Classic" really meant "Classic"...
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 13:11:06 -0700
... in the sense of a Golden Age of ideal form and virtues...

My brother-in-law recently surprised me with a book he had picked up off the
remainder table -- MG Sports Cars, a collection of Autocar reprints,
essentially. Leafing through the early sections, I was astonished by the
sophistication and level of standard equipment offered in MG sports cars of
the late 20s and early 30s.

Compare these features to an MGB, for instance:

Overhead cam 6 cylinder engine
Adjustable steering wheel
Pneumatic adjustable seat cushions
Cockpit adjustable brakes
Cockpit adjustable rear shocks
Factory moon roof
Centralized chassis lubrication

Admittedly, not all these features were on every model, and many were common
in cars of the period. Still, it made me want to go out and buy an MG Six
Speed Model saloon, or a Montlhery Midget. Although, once you get through
the laudatory prose, the 0-60 in 20.75 seconds comes as rather a letdown.
But then, that was from a mere 746cc.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149