Re: Fwd: More on MGB 5 Speed Box (with stock parts)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fwd: More on MGB 5 Speed Box (with stock parts)
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 22:31:14 +0930
Barney Gaylord wrote:

> I still dunno nuttin but what it says here.  Please reply to original author.
>

> >The Rover box will be similar to the one used in B V8s - I think. Will go

> >5 speed Rover
> >boxes are quite common in UK scrap yards but don't know the situation in
> >the states.

After discussing this with car club mates the general opinion was that
the "Rover box" is not necessarily one that you would want, especially
if you were planning on 'spirited' driving.  From what I understand (and
I stand to be corrected because you are getting this 'third hand' and I
have no direct knowledge of this particular gear box) the Rover gearbox
in question has its own little oil pump/s and if they become clogged -
like with little bits of metal - they can simply stop working without
much warning and, shortly afterwards, so can the gearbox.

I also was told that the box is also not as 'quick' as even the
four-speed standard in a B - hence the increased possibility of 'little
bits of metal' floating around.

If anyone has anything to add to this from any greater knowledge, please
do so - otherwaise, as always, YMMV :-)

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII

"Nothing overshadows truth so completely as authority"
ALBERTI