Re: Fwd: More on MGB 5 Speed Box (with stock parts)

To: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Subject: Re: Fwd: More on MGB 5 Speed Box (with stock parts)
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 11:56:57 -0500
Eric wrote:

>Barney Gaylord wrote:
>

>>I still dunno nuttin but what it says here.  Please reply to original author.
>>

>>>The Rover box will be similar to the one used in B V8s - I think. Will go
>>>

>>>5 speed Rover
>>>boxes are quite common in UK scrap yards but don't know the situation in
>>>the states.
>>>

>After discussing this with car club mates the general opinion was that
>the "Rover box" is not necessarily one that you would want, especially
>if you were planning on 'spirited' driving.  From what I understand (and
>I stand to be corrected because you are getting this 'third hand' and I
>have no direct knowledge of this particular gear box) the Rover gearbox
>in question has its own little oil pump/s and if they become clogged -
>like with little bits of metal - they can simply stop working without
>much warning and, shortly afterwards, so can the gearbox.
>
>I also was told that the box is also not as 'quick' as even the
>four-speed standard in a B - hence the increased possibility of 'little
>bits of metal' floating around.
>
>If anyone has anything to add to this from any greater knowledge, please
>do so - otherwaise, as always, YMMV :-)

I think this is the transmission from the TR7/8. I had always heard it
was a pretty good tranny.
When I had my TR7 this tranny fragged on me in the 4th lane in on the
San Diego Freeway
heading into Orange County. Not fun trying to get off the freeway when
people are going 70.
Fortunately, this was pre-road rage days.

I got a used tranny (not rebuilt) for $700-800 (this was 14 years ago),
and Ian, the guy
that ran the Import Auto Place down in the Sports Arena area of San
Diego, showed me
the pump, and how small the output of it was, about the size of  a bic
pen. He sternly warned
me to use ATF in it. That worked pretty well. Of course, I only had the
car another 6 months
or so, so I don't know long term.

I always thought my '72B's tranny was much better than the TR7s.

Paul