Remember the discussion of the flammability of brake fluid?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Remember the discussion of the flammability of brake fluid?
From: "Steve Shoyer" <Steve@shoyer.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 23:19:33 -0400
Today I think I figured out what caused the fire in my engine compartment back
in May.  I've got my car running now, and hopefully I won't have to do the head
gasket, but that's still a possibility.  I was working on the brake system, and
I found a split in the front left brake line that was spraying fluid onto the
exhaust header, carbs, block, etc.  It looks like the metal was weak and gave
out.  I don't know what ignited the fluid, but I guess it doesn't really matter
at this point.

The way I found the split was when I hooked up the Easibleed.  Not only was
there a split in the brake line, but the MC reservoir (from one of the parts
cars) also leaked, spraying brake fluid all over my new (and newly painted)
fender.  I tried to wash it off quickly, but it looks like some of the paint is
discolored.  One more thing to keep my life interesting.

Has anyone had experience with bending the new brake lines into the right
shape?  The brake lines in my parts cars look OK, but I'd rather not take a
chance if it's not too tricky to bend the new line.  My experience to date with
tubing benders has not been too positive.

--Steve (1980 MGB)