Re: [Fwd: Oil and brake master cylinders] - NON MG

To: chris-mg@cthompson.com
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Oil and brake master cylinders] - NON MG
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:28:27 -0400
  When the sports at Jiffy Lube topped off the brake MC of #1 daughter's
Honda Civic with ATF, the effect was not evident for a week.  But then,
it was significant.  The brakes locked up.  Every rubber piece in the
system had to be replaced, which meant, in effect, that new MC, new wheel
cylinders, new disc calipers, hoses, proportioning valve and a few
hundred $$$ more parts too.   Honda did the work and Honda shops won't
use rebuilt parts or rebuild themselves.
   When the shop manager showed me the fluid that had been drained from
the wheel cylinders, the ATF stood out in bright red globs in the brake
fluid.  He says that his shop gets to do this rectification about six
times a year.
   Jiffy Lube manager denied that anyone in his shop had done the deed,
and they had not made specific note of topping the MC on the invoice.
Bob