Re: God Awful squeal - bad news?

To: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Subject: Re: God Awful squeal - bad news?
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 18:02:45 -0400
At 05:07 PM 10/1/02, Eric wrote:
When does it squeal?  Are you changing gears?  Taking off or already
>moving and accelerating?  All the time?

It sounds like a fan belt squeal, but we've eliminated fan belt, eliminated
a transmission bearing (still happens whether clutch engaged or not),
eliminated a motor bearing (no shavings in the oil), leading theory is the
starter is still engaged while the engine is running.

Which might not be unreasonable - I've had a hell of a time starting it in
the mornings lately (for reasons I think are due to the weather), and
trouble keeping it going initially - it's been very ragged for the first
few minutes.  Once it's going and been driven for 5 or 10 minutes it's
pretty much fine for the rest of the day.  But initially, I've been beating
on the starter a lot to get it going, and it's entirely possible that
somewhere in there it went belly up on me.

I'm getting it towed to some place where it can properly be looked at, and
will report back if it's anything different.

Any theories on why it doesn't want to get going (or stay going) in the
morning are helpful.  I'm in New England - we're now getting cold nights
and warm days.  '78 B, electronic ignition, dual carbs (were properly tuned
as of last May).  Running 93 octane fuel.  I was just deciding I had to
figure out this tricky starting stuff when the squeal started, so I haven't
invested any time into figuring it out yet.  If it's going to trash my
starter, though, then I need to come up with an answer.  So, any thoughts
on that are still welcome.

Thanks

- Tab