Re: God Awful squeal / Rusty Pulley

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: God Awful squeal / Rusty Pulley
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 23:15:58 -0500
After winter storage this year, my B started making a "God awful squeal". My
belt tension felt right and the belt was fairly new, so I started worrying
about bearings and such. I mentioned this to a shadetree buddy of mine, and
he asked if the crankshaft pulley was rusty. In fact the pulley was very
rusty. I thought what the heck, I'll try spraying something on the
belt/pulley. I grabbed an aerosol can of Boeshield T-9 (sort of waxol in a
spray can) and gave the belt a squirt with the engine running. The squeal
immediately went away and hasn't returned in several thousand miles of
driving. Maybe belt dressing would have been better to use, but I can't
argue with success.

I used to think squealing was caused by a slipping belt, but I don't see how
the dry, tight belt on a dry, rusty pulley could have possibly been
slipping. (Come to think of it, rusty brake discs don't stop very well.
Maybe rust does cause slipping.) Anyway, my buddy was right on about the
rust.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470