RE: now Maggots

To: "'WSpohn4@aol.com'" <WSpohn4@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: now Maggots
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 12:49:54 -0700
Bill:

I gave away all my 3 synchro boxes years ago, much to my sadness today.  The
trans mocked up in the car is an all synchro unit that does require quite a
lot of surgery.

>>MGB 5 main block and OD trans are already mocked up in the car.  I'm
thinking seriously about a 5 speed though, as there will be much less tunnel
surgery.<<

>I don't think you'll find too much needs beating, unless you are using one
of those new-fangled all-synch boxes instead of the earlier, much nicer
trans...;-)<

>>I pulled the 4.55 gears and installed 4.10 gears which should be a better
match to the more powerful engine.<<

>NO - leave the 4.55 in it. Your top gear with the OD will be 3.6 - you sure
don't need any lower than that, and with the 4.55 you will retain optimum
acceleration, while having quite relaxed cruising.<

        The 4.55 gears had to go to a friend of mine to be installed in a
vintage racer.  Long story.  The moral is to check parts before you ship
them off.

Kelvin.

Bill
(4.88 + OD and 4.55 + OD in my cars

PS - don't you think the Maggot would look nice with 5.5 x 15 TR6 wire
wheels?)