How to fix a speedo with O/D from different year

To: "Kevin D. Richards" <flybirds@starpower.net>,
Subject: How to fix a speedo with O/D from different year
From: JAMES SCHULTE <schultejim@prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 15:54:48 -0700 (PDT)
Kevin,
Find a highway that is measured every tenth of a mile,
and drive 5 miles and see what the odometer reads at
the 5 mile marker.  Send speedo cable to ACI Engineer
 6728 Lovers Lane   Portage, MI  49002 with the
odometer reading at 5 miles.  Tell them you want the
reduction drive about 8-10 inches from the end of the
speedo cable.   It will cost you about $80.00 plus
shipping. No financial gain here.  I just did this
with my 78B before I sold it.  It had a 1000 series
speedo and a 1973 O/D.  Or you can send any speedo
before the 1000 series(because the 1000 series are
junk plastic and the shops don't want to bother with
them) to any good instrument shop and pay around
$100.00 plus shipping to have the gears in the speedo
adjusted.  You need to put a paper clip on the end of
the speedo cable and count how many times it turns
including quarter turns in 52'9 1/2"(16.09M).  Make
sure you mark a starting point with some part of the
car and end on that mark at 52'9 1/2"  Make sure you
roll or drive the car to the starting point to
eliminate the gear clearance.  Do this procedure 3
times and record each trial.  Make sure tires are at
manufacturers recommend pressure. Good luck Kevin!
Jim
69C
70B Heritage body shell tied for second in Triumph/MG
Rallye today (-:

--- "Kevin D. Richards" <flybirds@starpower.net>