Re: adjustment on timing light

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: adjustment on timing light
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:40:59 -0700
Thanks for the explanation of the adjustable timing light. I can see how
that would be helpful if you are trying to adjust the timing "off the
scale", as on a highly modified engine. But for this purpose I would leave
it at zero.

Have you tried using white paint (or Liquid Paper --it works great) to
highlight the timing pointer and the mark on the pulley? This really helps
them show up under the strobe. If the pulley mark still doesn't show up, it
is possible that the harmonic balancer has separated at the rubber layer
between the center and the outer ring, which has then has shifted around the
circumference, thus losing the position of the timing mark.

To check for this situation, turn the engine over so that cylinder #1 is at
TDC (NOT by relying on the timing mark, obviously), and see where the pulley
mark falls.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149