Re: Bodywork

To: "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@earthlink.net>, "'MG list'"
Subject: Re: Bodywork
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:52:01 +0100
Definitely not.  You will be better removing the old ones anyway to have a
clean-sweep at the bodywork.  New snaps are available - in the UK anyway -
as a kit.  Each strip has one square, bolt-up fitting at the very front for
the fronts and the very back of the rears.  The doors strips should have
them too but it seems that not all skins have the appropriate hole.  If
there are any double-thicknesses as a result of part panel replacements you
may want to do what I did and transfer the cup from its short rivet to a
long-reach rivet to be sure of getting right through the full thickness,
without this they can expand inside the hole and subsequently work loose.
Having been off several times for repainting on my roadster and redrilled
some of the holes had become large and irregular, so I used washers behind
the panel too.  Dip the new rivets in Waxoyl before fitting, and paint the
backs of the strips with it too.