Replacing floor boards and other things

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Replacing floor boards and other things
From: "Matthew Hale" <haleme@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 22:18:50 -0400
This might be long.

I have been on the sidelines of this list for a few months and am ready
to ask a few questions to more experienced individuals.  The floorboards
in my 67 B are way beyond bad and I am going to replace them.  I have an
angle grinder and have used this to successfully re-skin the doors and
other parts, so I feel comfortable using this tool.  I am not sure how
to remove the floor board from the cross member.  How does one go about
removing bad parts welded to good parts and not damage the good parts?
Any tips or links to useful website would be greatly appreciated.  I am
going for a total restore and very close to complete originality (except
for electrical polarity and stereo; tunes are crucial) and want this car
to look and feel as if came from the factory.  That being said, I am
reverting back to the 3 syncro transmission (I currently have a non od 4
syncro from a 72, which will be for sale in a few weeks.  Any takers?)
Is the engine/transmission mounting plate different between these two
units?  And where can I find one for a 67?  I am also on the look out
for a negative ground tachometer.  If any one has bought one, please let
me know.  Moss list it, but does not stock it.  Sort of a kick in the
pants!  Ok, that is enough for now.

On a separate note...
The whole discussion about what is a real MG has been pretty intriguing.
You guys and gals are really passionate about your cars.  I feel pretty
fortunate to actually own a piece of history and take part in its
preservation.  Now for my soap box :-)  As a whole, we should take pride
in all MGs because someone else see enough value in the previous
iterations to emulate.  The new MGs may not be an exact replica of your
MG, but it embodies the same qualities we love these cars for.  Sporty,
British, practical to a point and a joy to those who own them.  And that
is all that matters.

Just my 2 cents.

Matthew Hale
67 B (slowly coming back to life)