questions about handling (Re: Wire Wheels ...)

Subject: questions about handling (Re: Wire Wheels ...)
From: "Henry D. Reynolds" <hdr@jump.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 13:38:25 -0600
Has any one lower their car by putting lower profile tires on stock
wheels?

my '78 just does not handle like i think an MGB should. It has too much
understeer. my other MGBs tended toward oversteer. Is this a side
effect of the increased ride height and maybe the weight of those awful
rubber bumpers? I also feel like the car has way too much body roll.

so by the book one increases oversteer by increasing the slip angle of
the rear or decreasing the slip angle of the front (tires).

what should i do (and in what order)
a) lower the car all around(how much)
b) lower the front only
c) increase the diameter of the front sway-bar
d) decrease or remove the rear sway-bar (does having this sway bar
help locate the rear axle)

i am running stock wheels with 185/70x14 tires at 32 psi in both front
and rear (increasing the front inflation pressure from 27 psi seems to
have reduced understeer some. Shocks and springs are OK(no bouncy,bouncy
and rear-end rarely bottoms). i have new lower control arm bushings.

PS i have a set of wheels 195/70x14 on them, but They made the car ride
higher and steering effort was much greater

PPS has any one lower their car by putting lower profile tires on stock
wheels?

--
"Alle Menschen werden Bruder"

Henry D. Reynolds - System Administrator
mail: hdr@jump.net - phone: 512.448.3617 - cell: 512.699.8658