Re: Washing your distributor cap

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Washing your distributor cap
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:30:28 -0800
Well, my take has been that the "rainy day" problem is an interaction
between condensing moisture and the thin layer of carbon dust, brass filings
and oil that builds up on the inside of a neglected distributor cap. So, it
makes sense that if you can thoroughly clean the cap of the built-up crud,
that it would be less sensitive to moisture. It wouldn't have occurred to me
to try the dishwasher, though, and I wouldn't rule out the possibility that
the hot water/hot air treatment might cause some other sort of problem
(cracking?)

But I wouldn't throw the leads in there, at all. You'd risk forcing water
into the insulation, I'd think. I would just thoroughly clean the ends.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149