Re: Washing your distributor cap

To: holtt@nacse.org
Subject: Re: Washing your distributor cap
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:46:57 EST
In a message dated 12/2/02 9:15:52 AM Pacific Standard Time, holtt@nacse.org
writes:

> Saw on Moss some guy's suggestion you toss your distributor cap and
> leads into the dishwasher if you have problems starting on rainy and
> foggy mornings.   My question is, what exactly is this doing?  Also I
> suppose, just what does go on in the distributor that makes starts on
> cold/foggy/rainy mornings not happen?

- - - - - - - - - - -

Dirt inside the dizzy cap can cause the high power electrical spark to go the
wrong way.  Wet weather makes it even worse.  You get missing or a weak spark
at the plugs.  I suppose the dishwasher would do a good job of cleaning the
cap, but I wouldn't put the wires in.  Water could get trapped inside the
ends and not dry completely.

If you have a dampness problem, keep a small can of WD40 in the boot.  Spray
it under the dizzy cap and wipe it dry with a rag.  WD stands for Water
Displacer, and it works pretty well that way.  (It is a lousy parts loosener
and lubricant.)  It can also be used for cleaning the outside of the cap, if
you are hesitant about the dishwasher thing.

As for the wires, clean them with WD40 to get grease and oil off.  When you
put the electricals back together, put a coating of dielectric grease on
EVERY contact.  Both ends of the plug and coil wires, and each contact
(including the center one) in the dizzy cap.  The grease will keep the water
out, and keep the corrosion down.

No worries, mate!

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward