Re: Mk I, Mk II dash

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mk I, Mk II dash
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 09:29:06 -0800 (PST)
Dodd, Kelvin SEZ -

> I think they were originally ordered in error years ago, but are great if
> you have a 1968- car and want to convert to the early steel dash.

This isn't specifically in response to Kelvin, but to the group
in general:

I'm just curious if anybody knows what such a modification does
to the resale value of the car.  I really loved my 68 MGB and
would like to get another some day, but I'd never even consider
a car that's been butchered like this.  I'm not saying it's a
sin for someone to make a modification like this to his own car -
it's *his* car after all, but I can't imagine it having much
resale value, and its historical value is nil.  When I'm looking
for a car, I usually want to find one as original as possible, not
someone else's "vanity project."  Then again, I always liked the
"Abingdon Pillow" interior.  The older dash layout looked
anachronistic in a car as otherwise modern in styling as the MGB.
I'm sure I've opened a can of rhetorical worms now...

  :-)

--
David Breneman                   |       And on the tree a star,
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst  |       Of shiny Christmas gold.