RE: computer problem-NO LBC content

To: MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: computer problem-NO LBC content
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 17:27:08 -0600
> the school computer while I'm waiting around for this or
> that.  Today I found
> out that we now have been denied access (CyberPatrol) to the
> Mail2Web site
> where our local (nemr.net) email is served up. I'm thinking
> that the school
> district is playing "Big Brother" and monitoring what we teachers are
> accessing on the web. I'd like to "play a game" with them and

Most schools (and businesses for that matter) have some kind of controls set
up for what you can access.  Regardless of whether or not you're told, you
pretty much need to consider that anything you do at work is being monitored
in one way or another.

Beware that attempting to circumvent those controls could, depending on your
network policies, be enough to get you fired.

If I were physically there, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to defeat
the filtering that's in place, but trying to do so remotely, with no idea of
the overal architechture, wouldn't go very far.  And I don't want to be
responsible for any problems it would cause...

Why not talk to whoever handles your computers and ask them?  If they're
using software that automatically updates itself using a list of 'bad' sites
from the software maker, it's possible that the site in question shouldn't
even be on there, and they may be able to add it to a list of allowed sites.
(This is just one of the many problems with filtering software, but I'm not
going into that...)

If, on the other hand, they're blocking the site _because_ it is an e-mail
site, well, you probably won't get anywhere.  Even though it's web-based,
and therefore not subject to the risk of instant infection as if you were
using Outlook or Outlook Express, there's still a good risk of malicious
files making their way into the school's network through that route.