Re: 72 BGT Carbs

To: SHolli1018@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 72 BGT Carbs
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 12:17:38 -0700
So far it looks like two votes for the HS4s. Normally I would agree for the
same reasons - the simplicity of the HS4s. I'm not very familiar with the
HIF4s and I like the separate float bowls of the HS carbs because its easy
to take the lids off to see if the carbs are getting fuel to the floats
(which can be an important trouble shooting method).

But the HIF4s have a few virtues. For one, they are technically the correct
carbs for the year. And my limited experience with them showed they were a
better cold weather starting carb. My son had a set on his 65 MGB with an
18V engine and I was quite impressed how quickly the car started and ran at
twenty below zero (F). Maybe it was a coincidence but my impression is that
the carbs made the difference. On a related note, during my college days, I
used to take the pistons out of my 65B carbs and put them in my 71BGT
because those short, fixed needles gave me much better cold starting at
temps below about ten above zero.

Well, anyway, if you live in an area with a real winter, you might want to
consider the HIFs. But if you aren't an originality freak or if you don't
drive in sub-zero temps, I think the HS4 is the way to go.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B