Re: Slightly OT... British bikes

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Slightly OT... British bikes
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 09:58:45 -0500
----- Original Message -----
> Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 19:37:24 -0500
> From: William Killeffer <wkilleffer@comcast.net>
> Subject: Slightly OT... British bikes

> Recently, a member of our car club offered to teach me how to ride a
> motorcycle...

Your friends good intentions could have dire consequences. I strongly
urge you to  consider taking a proper beginner riders course. They are
taught in the USA by the MSF - Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

Look here: www.msf-usa.org  The beginner course costs about $100 -
$150 for a two day course (typically Friday eve classroom + Sat
parking lot riding). You do not need a bike (they supply 125cc or
250cc street bikes) or helmet. You will be asked to wear long sleeve
shirts, jeans, boots, gloves. When you pass, you can receive your MC
endorsement plus many insurance companies give a discount.

I took the beginner course a few years ago. I probably could have
learned the basics from a book or a friend. The MSF course places lots
of emphasis on safety & proper riding habits. This will give you a
solid foundation to build on for years of safe & fun riding.

Sorry, I can't tell you much about British bikes. The new Triumphs (am
I allowed to say that on this list?) are considered great bikes. My
current ride is a Honda ST1100 (aka Pan-European).

HTH,
Eric