RE: Window Winder handles

To: "'M. Edwin Vaughan'" <edvaughan@juno.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Window Winder handles
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 14:49:15 -0800
Edwin:

The original window winder handles in the later MGB were always breaking.
Supposedly the design was specifically to pass the new interior safety
requirements.  The original part number was CZA7109 which I know off the top
of my head, because I have probably sold a couple of gizzilion of them.  The
new window winders seem to be about the same quality as the originals, which
means they break all the time too.  The safety issue seems like a cop out,
as the early winder and door handles tended to break all the time too.

There are two alternative numbers.  The Jaguar handle which is chrome plated
metal with a plastic knob.  These don't break, but the knobs do fall off.
As Larry pointed out, these knobs can be replaced by hardware store ones.
Another alternative is the handle that was used on later European cars such
as the Mini Metro.  These handles install the same way but are made of a
rubbery type of material.  These handles don't break, and the knobs seem to
be much better designed.

I've been meaning to add these to the Moss catalogs, but have not had the
chance.  They can be purchased under the factory number #YGA4330

Sorry, I can't help you on the exposed screw concern.  Even the Jag and late
model handles have exposed screws.

hope this helps

Kelvin.