Re: Info Request, RB BGTs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Info Request, RB BGTs
From: Emjaxfl@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 07:18:33 EST
Greetings to All:

We could buy a RB-BGT in the US from intro of the 1975 model year in the fall
of 1974 until 1/1/75 when new regulations made their importation impossible.
I have the MG sales literature for the 1973, 1974, and 1975 model years and
the first 1975 brochure shows a RB-BGT, the later brochure does not.

The regulations that affected importation were emissions related. The early
1975 models were equipped with HIF carbs, later ones had Strombergs. The
greater weight of the GT model required different inertia settings for the
dyno used to verify emissions. The BGT did not pass while the B did. One of
the car magazines commented that given the modest weight difference between
the B and BGT, the passing margin of the B was small indeed. They suggested
that the switch from SU to Stromberg carbs saved weight and reduced
emissions. Of course, we all know what this did for engine output.

Happy MGing

Eric
74 B