Re: Potential Scam

To: Healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Potential Scam
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:12:04 -0500
On 1/15/03 a couple guys said:

>>>I must admit I'm cornfused about one thing. Where I come from, a certified
>check is certified because the bank issuing it received the cash up front and
>therefore the issuing agent (read bank) "certified"  it would go through. When
>I buy a money order, I usually have to pay cash for it up front also. Am I
>wrong?<<<

>>>Doesn't sound right to me. Anytime I got a certified check or a money
order I had to give the bank or post office the money up front -- cash.
The certified check they gave me was drawn on the bank or post office
not on me. Not sure I understand how a certified bank check or money
order can bounce. What's the point of them if they can bounce? Maybe it
can...<<<

Hi again,

If you have the funds wired from one bank to another (Western Union), you're
okay, but a paper check can be fraudulent.  It's just like anything else, do
your homework.

If you have questions about this scam, go to:

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,56829,00.html

Thanks,

Scott Helms
a.k.a. Austrheamgafun@arczip.com