Aluminium cross-flow head for MGBs and 2L engines:

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>, <superhoser@cablespeed.com>
Subject: Aluminium cross-flow head for MGBs and 2L engines:
From: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 22:41:26 -0500
I concur with Kelvin's statements on the 2L engine.  Just too risky.

As for the Pierce x-flow head - here's a condensation of my experience:

My '66 B had its engine rebuilt in 1986 in Colorado at which time a 280 cam
was installed.  AS near as I can tell from the receipts & my conversation
with the shop that did the work, that was all that was done other than good
rebuilding.

When I began vintage racing 20,000 miles later, I had Sasco Sports build a
ported, polished & big stock valve head.  It improved the upper end nicely.
Good power from 3,000 rpm's.  Cost $1,300.

In my second year of vintage racing, I installed a stock x-flow head.  My
Lime Rock time dropped by 6 seconds.  The engine now felt as strong from
3,000 as before, but also had much more power from idle up to 3,000.  On the
street, lots more low end torque.  Much better for daily driving.  Cost -
check Moss catalog.

Last year, I bit the bullet & replaced the tired old 1986 rebuilt engine
with one built by Fab-Tek.  Lime Rock results only equaled the previous
year's best time.  Cost, you don't want to know.  Advantage - great top end
& easily revs to 7,000.  Tractable on the street? - nowhere near the x-flow.

So, if you want to spend the $$, the Pierce x-flow is a very easy way to
bolt on lots of h.p.  It does need bigger carbs & header to perform well
though.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB