DCOEs and misfiring (long)

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: DCOEs and misfiring (long)
From: Tim Baxter <baxter@gretschpages.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:25:01 -0600
OK, let me give some background. As some of you may know, a few months
back I bought a non-running BGT and have been nursing it back to life.
This particular B is fitted with a Weber 40DCOE, which was so gunked
up when I bought the car it wouldn't run. A thorough cleaning later,
and I've been running ever since.
Until last week.
Now, the DCOE has never liked cold weather. I've since found out I
probably didn't have the timing where I should have, but that's not
really the point here.
I was nursing the car home from work one very cold night, it was
coughing and spitting, and then it seemed to badly lose power.
I later discovered 3 and 4 plugs were REALLY sooty and were not
firing. It appears the rear barrel of the carb is dumping WAY too much
gas into those cylinders. Front plugs were fine. After changing the
plugs, it appears I got #4 to work again, but not #3. I pulled the
carb, found more gunk, and thoroughly cleaned it again. Also, I seem
to have gas coming out of that barrel at the front of the carb. I
fiddled with the float today, and MAY have fixed that, but I don't
trust my float needle, and I don't know which one to buy.
Still nothing on #3.
Anyway, what should I check, what should I buy, what Weber parts are
appropriate for my use, and what tips can anyone offer?
All ignition parts are new, but hey, if anyone has tips there, I'll
take 'em. I'm tearing my hair out. I just want my B to run!