Re: MG tow vehicle

To: "dave houser" <mgs4dave@warwick.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG tow vehicle
From: "David F. Darby" <darby@tri-lakes.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:12:49 -0600
Hi Dave, et al.,

Guess I'll chime in and put in a word for the small V-8-powered Dodge Dakota
SLT. After decades of running used stuff, I bought a 2002 this past summer.
They have two choices of V-8s, a 5.9 litre and a 4.7 litre unit that (I
think) is a Mercedes design. I chose the small V-8 with 4WD, auto, tow
package, etc. I live rurally on a 100-acre, near-wilderness homestead, and
have to go on rough roads in all kinds of weather. Chasing MGs around and
wagging in friends' break-downs from the outer limits is par for the course.

I have the Quad cab (four doors) and short bed. The longest tow so far is a
600-mile run to fetch in a ZB on a tow dolly (my preferred weapon-of-choice,
driveshaft disconnected, naturally). It hauls my motorbike with the tailgate
down, but it is a two-person job to load. Empty, it averages 17 mpg,
probably not as good as the V-6s.

Good luck with you choice, let us know how you come out.

Regards,

David F. Darby
http://www.mgbexperience.com/mgz