Re: MGF radio in an MGB?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGF radio in an MGB?
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 22:44:28 -0000
Kevin:

    Before you purchase the MGF radio, you might want to check that it will
run in a non-MGF car. Many of the new OEM radios connect to the particular
car's communication bus. They will not operate without messages from other
computers in the car. For instance, in many new cars the ignition line is
gone. The radio gets the ignition On/Off state from the communication bus.
In some instances the radio will refuse to operate unless the VIN number,
broadcast on the bus, matches the VIN number programmed into the radio at
the factory. This is really high tech anti-theft. The radio actually knows
it's in a different car, even if that car is the same model.

    For better or for worse, the modern car is loaded with computers that
talk to each other. Any switch you operate does not actually connect to what
it is controlling. It connects to a computer I/O line, and the computer
decides what to do with the switch input.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB - NAMGBR #7-3336