Bingo, another lesson learned

To: MGs@autox.team.net, hans@hi-flow.com, whiland@semispares.com,
Subject: Bingo, another lesson learned
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 02:23:01 -0800
After all this talk of torque wrenches, calibrating them and suchlike,
I just did a quick test. I found a socket that would fit on the 1/2"
drive of my new beam torque wrench, set each of my click type torque
wrenches to 55 pounds and read what was on the guage when the wrenches
clicked.

My 3/8" drive snap-on clicked when the beam TW read 40 something, the
1/2" drive wrench clicked at right about 55 on the beam TW.

Fortunately, ARP reccomends lower torques than spec if you use lube,
so my using "spec" torques with lube and the miscalibrated torque
wrench probably all cancelled out and I ended up at about the specs
that ARP reccomended.  This explains why I seemed to have to "over
torque" my head, even with natural aspiration, to get it to seal. It
also may very well explain why I was getting leakage between the
cylinders.

I find it truly impressive how I seem to systematically be making
every stupid mistake in the book on this project.

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.