Re: taps and dies

To: mmorris@nemr.net
Subject: Re: taps and dies
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:00:21 -0500
Monte,
  For the mounting-hole problem, if you need to do it right away, take
the bolts you removed to Sears, identify size and thread, then buy the
tap to correspond.
  For tools to own--1) sets are always cheaper than a lot of pieces, 2)
tap wrenches are usually OK in sets but the die holders are usually crap
metal and you have to buy one separately at cost that seems
disproportionate, 3) most sets will have both SAE (which is US "fine" and
the other one--name I forget--which is the US coarse thread, in both taps
and dies.
   Harbor Freight has some sets that are OK. I bought their $10 set a few
years ago and it was good enough for my occasional thread chasing
(clearing/cleaning).  Later I bought their $50 set and was quite pleased
with it.  If you have $50, buy the better set. It will work smoother and
the steel is harder.   If Sears has a sale going, you can't go wrong
though.  Y'know, nobody was ever sorry that he bought the best tools.
Bob