Re: Aftermarket Leather Steering Wheel Questions

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Aftermarket Leather Steering Wheel Questions
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 17:25:46 -0800
If the leather itself is in good condition, an upholstery shop could probaby
stitch it back up.

In David's case , where the leather is splitting, they could possibly
replace it all. But I don't know that it would be cheap.

I have seen two kinds of generic steering wheel wraps. One is the (usually
perforated) kind that spirals around the rim, is wrapped with plastic cord,
and that looks hideously cheesy (IMO). Somewhat less common is a leather
covering that is sized to the wheel diameter, and laced up on the inside
edge with heavy thread, more like a factory-style leather wheel. Of this
variety, all the ones I have found are designed for thicker rims than on CB
MGs (or any other 60s-vintage cars). On my 67 Barracuda (which had several
cracks in the rim), I solved this by wrapping it with foam first, then
stitching on the cover. This makes for a wheel that feels like a modern
luxury car -- smoothly sheathed in leather, with a slightly squeezable grip.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149