Re: HIFun and Tuning goals.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: HIFun and Tuning goals.
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:08:28 -0800
I'll address all of the responses in one mail.

Charlie: 1.35" is a typo. I meant .135". I've done almost nothing on
my dial calipers lately over .1" (I've been measuring needle profiles)
so the number I've been seeing is 1.  That, and I wrote the email at
about 2am my time. Oops.

There is the bridge, a concentric bushing of sorts about .075" below
the bridge and the jet about .135" below the bridge.

Paul: It's an HIF not an HS, no flats involved, just a screw on the
side. And it is the equivalent of it falling out that I'm worried that
I did.

Neil:

I have tried emailing Hans. He's really busy this time of year and
sometimes doesn't reply to his mail for quite a while.

I've also tried several stock needles, unfortunately there aren't a
lot of choices in the range I need, and time on a "rolling road" runs
a little over $100/hour, so the closer that I can get on a "static
road" the more money I have left over for other gofast goodies.

The problem that I've been having is the car leaning out in the
3000-4000 RPM range and pinging. I suspect that I may be pushing the
limits of the Compression Ratio and need to run it extra rich to
prevent pinging.

As to the jet position, it isn't just for idle, it affects mixture
across the whole range, as the needle moves in relation to it.

Incidentally, I ran into a "conflict of experts". Hans suggested no
modification to the piston, just dealing with the throttle on leanout
by using thicker oil. When I used really thick oil it helped a little
with throttle on leanout, but backfired a lot on throttle off. Joe
Curto (Who appears to be the SU guru in the US) suggested blocking off
one of the vacuum ports in the piston, and stopping the other down to
1/8". In a manner that would be easy to undo, I followed Joe's advice
and it does work beautifully. I suspect that the blower causes a much
higher pressure differential across the piston (vacuum if you like)
than does a normally aspirated motor, and therefore the smaller ports
are required in the damper piston to slow things down.

Also, Neil, please tell me about this injection setup.

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.