Re: Lead Substitute

To: <cmondialo@hotmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lead Substitute
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:43:49 -0800
I ran a 1970 MGB GT for 8 years day in day out, snow, sleet, rain, highways
& byways, on unleaded and it did not suffer at all.  The engine was not
"rebuilt" when I bought it and when I sold it the engine was as strong as ever

I also tested unleaded on my rebuilt engine in a 1967 Austin Healey for
Shell (all expenses paid for a year!!)  They made special measuring things
to determine "recession". There was none after 3,000 miles

My take is that for less than racing, using unleaded will not be a
problem,   In Canada we have had unleaded for years and I have yet to hear
of any Brit classic suffering.  If you race, then you may have a problem -
but other things will be evident before valve seat recession!  One thing I
do believe is that shoving in "additives" definitely results in one thing -
it makes the manufacturers richer!!

t 10:05 AM 2/25/2003 -0500, cmondialo@hotmail.com wrote:
>I just bought a 74 BGT.  I can finally get my timing light and dwell meter out
>of moth balls!  What is the opinion of the group on lead additives or
>substitutes?    I checked the local shops and none of the substitutes noted
>from the mgcars page was there.  From the MG page Redline was apparently
>available in the US  but again not sight of it.
>www.mgcars.org:
>The Oscars Go To.. FBHVC gave their endorsement to 4 products. Interestingly,
>each of these products uses a different additive: - Millers VSP-Plus. Lead
>Substitute & Octane Booster
>       Red Line Lead Substitute
>       Superblend 12 / Zero Lead  Lead Substitute
>       Valvemaster Lead Substitute
>

>Only one of these products, Red Line, is available in North America, but it is
>worth studying all the endorsed FBHVC products to see what US and Canadian MG
>owners can learn from the British tests
>
>Any comments on other brands?

Regards
Barrie