RE: Interesting item...comments anyone?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Interesting item...comments anyone?
From: "Larry Hoy" <list@marketvalue.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:20:22 -0700
Albert, I like the way you think, but sorry to disappoint you, this is
done all the time (so no opportunity for a business venture).  The
'banjo' style axle housings found in the MGA and the pre 1968 MGB (and
other more obscure models) will accept the same gear carrier (third
member, pumpkin).  There is some axle shaft differences, but they can be
over come.

Using a 1967 MGB axle housing in my race car I have a 3.9, 4.1, 4.3,
4.55, 4.88, and 5.12 ratio. Different ratios for different tracks.

The early banjo axle allows you to 'roll out' the gear carrier and
replace it with a carrier with a different gear set.  Probably about an
hour job.

All this is pretty common for the vintage race guys.

Check:

http://pages.prodigy.net/larryhoy/MGratios.htm

By the way, if anyone has a line on a 3.3 or a 3.7 ring and pinion I'd
be interested.

Larry Hoy

business for themselves and at the same time