Seeking a good tire pressure

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Seeking a good tire pressure
From: William Killeffer <wkilleffer@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 20:44:18 -0500
Hello,
I've been thinking about tire pressure for some time, ever since a group
of MG owners went on a spirited drive and I could barely keep up. Can't
remember exactly what wasn't right, but I just couldn't make the turns
as fast. The leader said to look into my tire pressure and recommended
using the pressures on the glove box sticker (27 psi front, 32 rear, 155
R14 radial tire).
That doesn't seem right, as the car becomes twitchy at highway speeds,
especially if a truck passes me. The handling didn't seem improved either.
My tires are 185/70R14 because that's what came on it. The maximum
pressure is 35 psi. They're about two years old but they probably don't
have more than 7000 miles on them. My front suspension is almost all
poly bushings with new Armstrong shocks. There is a sway bar up front.
The back has new Armstrong shocks but no new bushings yet. The bushings
that are there look reasonably intact. No rear swaybar. The wheels are
rostyles.
In order to get a more spirited and sure-footed ride, what tire pressure
should I use? I ran a Google search and looked at Barney's page, but
didn't find anything in black and white. I'm too brain dead right now to
figure it out myself, but have a vacation day tomorrow to do some
experimentation.
Thank you,
-Bill