Re: Seeking a good tire pressure

To: William Killeffer <wkilleffer@comcast.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seeking a good tire pressure
From: Howard gentry <zymmer4@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 10:10:30 -0800 (PST)
--- William Killeffer <wkilleffer@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hello,
> I've been thinking about tire pressure for some
> time, ever since a group
> of MG owners went on a spirited drive and I could
> barely keep up. Can't
> remember exactly what wasn't right, but I just
> couldn't make the turns
> as fast. The leader said to look into my tire
> pressure and recommended
> using the pressures on the glove box sticker (27 psi
> front, 32 rear, 155
> R14 radial tire).
> That doesn't seem right, as the car becomes twitchy
> at highway speeds,
> especially if a truck passes me. The handling didn't
> seem improved either.
> My tires are 185/70R14 because that's what came on
> it. The maximum
> pressure is 35 psi. They're about two years old but
> they probably don't
> have more than 7000 miles on them. My front
> suspension is almost all
> poly bushings with new Armstrong shocks. There is a
> sway bar up front.
> The back has new Armstrong shocks but no new
> bushings yet. The bushings
> that are there look reasonably intact. No rear
> swaybar. The wheels are
> rostyles.
> In order to get a more spirited and sure-footed
> ride, what tire pressure
> should I use? I ran a Google search and looked at
> Barney's page, but
> didn't find anything in black and white. I'm too
> brain dead right now to
> figure it out myself, but have a vacation day
> tomorrow to do some
> experimentation.
> Thank you,
> -Bill

William,
     Depends on what kind of tires you are
using...different tires have different tread and
sidewall constructions.
     My 1976 B roadster has 175/70/14 Semperit
radials..they have a different type of cast
sidewall...hence..different pressures than say a
Michellin tire of the same size.
     When I run the Michellin tires I use 30 front and
32 rear...With the Semperit tires I use 28 front and
28 rear..
     Experiment with different pressures on the Same
stretch of road till you find the Right combination.
Cheers, Howard

http://taxes.yahoo.com/