Re: Rubber Bumper B

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rubber Bumper B
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 12:27:04 EST
In a message dated 13/03/03 9:02:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,
doddk@mossmotors.com writes:

> The point is that with better induction and some easy suspension
> work the RBB can be a very, very enjoyable car to drive.  I spent 5 years
> commuting in a RBB and really preferred it to my 65B.  For a daily driver
> the RBB makes a lot of sense, especially in parking lots.

Kelvin, you are an exception - few people use MGBs as daily drivers any more.
I used my MGA to go to university (back in the early Cretaceous period) and
my MGA coupe for a few years after that, but by now almost all of the cars
are weekend warriors. More power to you.

As for the parking lots, I had no sooner fitted a new Moss bumper to the
front of she-who-must-be-obeyed's MGC (well, it was probably about a month
before, as the rust was already starting to show through the Moss 'chrome
job' ;-), than some miscreant backed into it, twisting it. Arghh.

If you are sitting in traffic and don't get to use the power anyway, why not
find a rare MGB (or more common MGC) automatic? I have this auto transmission
for sale......

In any case, daily users aside, I stand by my assessment of the early 'full
power, no stilts' model as the one of choice, probably peaking in the 1968-70
range if you like all synch trans and as little smog garbage as possible.

>     For those with aching backs, the ride height and soft suspension can
> be the difference between comfort and excruciating pain.

Just yesterday I was talking to an MGB owner that had an accident awhile ago
(not in the B) resulting in a stiff shoulder that the steering on the B
aggravated, so he was thinking of switching to something else British. I
pointed him at a Jensen Interceptor, great touring cars (I've owned 3) though
with gas here now at one Canuck-buck a litre, perhaps not the most economical
of transportation.

There you have an indicator for the future - Moss should start developing a
kit to install power steering in an MGB to serve all of the ageing,
stiffening owners.....you heard it here first!

BTW, I had one 1980 owner of an LE (this name is another bad joke - it was
'limited' only in the sense that they limited production to as many as they
could sell and no more - they made more of this so-called limited series than
the total production of any of the cars I own!) that I let drive an early
(1965) car. He told me later that he wished he'd never sat in it, and he sold
his LE a few months later for a nice 1969.

Bill