Re: Just got my 'new' 1972 MGB

To: "Gudz, Roman \(EM, PTL\)" <Roman.Gudz@penske.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Just got my 'new' 1972 MGB
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:19:47 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gudz, Roman (EM, PTL)" <Roman.Gudz@penske.com>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 3:19 PM
Subject: Just got my 'new' 1972 MGB

> Yesterday, I finally got my 1972 MGB that I bought on eBay (can't believe
> did that).
>
> The odometer says 52K miles and does appear to work.

Means nothing without other confirming evidence of low mileage.  Could be on
its first or second circuit, been replaced etc., etc.

> 1) Car starts fine and seems to run OK, although it seems to idle pretty
> fast (about 1300 RPM).  Is that a problem?

Not much.  Could be an inlet manifold leak, one or both butterflys not
seating properly, linkage not adjusted properly,  or just set too high.  A
full setup should fix/reveal it.

> 2) There are a few quarter sized holes in the drivers floor pan,  should I
> patch them or should it be replaced?  The passenger's looks OK.

Patch, if surrounding areas resist attack by hammer ands screwdriver.

> 3) The fuel gauge always shows empty.

If the temp gauge works OK the voltage stabiliser is OK, although one or
both of the wires could have fallen off the back of the gauge.  Goi to the
tank sender and link the two wires there with the ignition on, only long
enough to see if the gauge moves.  If it does the sender is bad.  If not
connewct a known good ground to the green black wire on the sender.  If the
gauge moves now the ground is bad, it comes from a number plate bolt in the
boot/trunk.  If that doesn't work check the bullet connection between the
rear and main looms where they join at the back of the engine compartment on
the right hand side, then ground that wire at the gauge.

> 4) The wipers wipe at about 1 MPH.

If they do it wet the gearbox and rack could be bunged-up with solidified
grease.

> 5) The car has only one battery and I can see the driveway.  Is that
normal
> or should this area be enclosed?

Should be two but many convert to one, there should be a metal cover
fastened over them.

> 6) The hose going to the bottom of the absorption cannister is missing, is
> this important?

No, it is the fresh air inlet anyway.