Pertronix into a TD

To: mg-t <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pertronix into a TD
From: Bud Krueger <budkrueger@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 18:29:30 -0500
As a birthday present (don't ask) my dear bride of these many years treated me
to a Pertronix ignition for Lazarus, my 52TD.  The installation probably took
all of 15 minutes from start to finish.  Could have been quicker, but I captured
a few images along the way.

Before undoing the old system I checked to assure myself that the static timing
was right at TDC.  Then I just followed the instructions and swapped the
Pertronix plate for the points plate, slipped on the magnet collar and put the
cap back on (after remembering to reinstall the rotor).  Crimped on two
connectors, hooked them across the coil, turned on the ignition and pulled the
starter.  Vrooom.  Fired up after less than half a turn of the engine.

I then shut it off and rechecked the static timing.  It was advanced by about 8
degrees.  I hooked up my light bulb, loosened the distributor clamp and reset
the static timing to TDC just the same way as with points, i.e., turned the
crank until the pulley pointer was aligned at TDC, rotated the distributor CCW
until the lamp went out, rotated it back CW until the lamp just came on,
tightened it down.  Simple as can be. (But next time I'll try to remember to
take the crank out before I fire it back up.)

Bud Krueger
52TD