Re: Spam not from me (no car stuff)

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Spam not from me (no car stuff)
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:43:23 -0500
Allen,

Don't worry about it - and don't bother changing your email address or
passwords (although those are good ideas anyway).

Anyone can send an email to anyone else purporting to be from anyone.  I
could send you email that appears to be from you (or anyone you want).

It's a common spam tactic to now use valid emails to send email to other
people.  That'd doesn't mean they know your password or got into your
account.  They probably didn't.  All they know is your email address.

In fact, since my business has multiple email address (for sales, tech
support, etc), occasionally we'll get spam from one of our accounts sent to
another one of our accounts.  Of course if we check the full email headers,
we see it came from neither but really Taiwan or some such place and is
just pasting our name on it as the "from" address.

It's only a problem if people complain to you directly, but that's not too
common anymore...  so don't lose any sleep over it.

- Tab