absorption cannister info

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: absorption cannister info
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 10:15:29 -0500 (EST)
Finally...finally I figured out how to open the absorption cannister. I've
been wanting to replace 27 year old carbon in my 76B but could not figure
out and could not find anywhere how to do it. Of course that meant it was
simple.

The bottom of the cannister unscrews leaving some threads exposed. If they
are, as in my case, covered in grease, one does not notice slots
interrupting the threads. I cleaned the threads of grease this a.m. and
lo, I saw the slots for the first time. Poking a screwdriver into one
thinking the slot was for unscrewing the thread, the plastic piece holding
the screen and all under it moved and a protrusion, a small extension
into the slot disengaged from the cannister. It was immediately obvious if
I went to each slot, all 4 of the extensions would pop out and I would
gain access to the carbon. Sure enough, it worked. (Of course, I didn't
pay attention to the order of replacement but that'll probably be obvious,
too.)

So all of you with post-modern RBB's and absorption cannisters, it really
isn't one of the hard tasks to do.

Bill
'76B