Re: Failed MA inspection

To: Steve Shoyer <Steve@shoyer.com>
Subject: Re: Failed MA inspection
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:05:12 -0600
Steve Shoyer wrote:
> I finally took my car to the inspection station, and I was
 > dissappointed when it failed.  In MA, the car (1980 MGB) is
 > not required to pass emission inspection, just a safety check,
> which usually  consists of makinmg sure that all the lights work,
 > horn, wipers, etc.  The technician failed me for two items:
>
> - He jacked up the front of the car and shook the wheels, and said
 > that I needed a new ball joint. He said that the other side of the
 > car wasn't as bad, that it just needed a tie rod end.
>
> - There was an oil leak.  I opened the hood and saw that it was
 > coming from the oil dipstick tube. I had tightly fastened the oil
 > filler cap before going to the inspection station (it had been loose
 > before), so it looks like the system isn't venting correctly.

Could be your carbon canister is clogged? Is all the smog stuff there?
You need ventilation on top and on the side cover. The side cover
is the inlet and connects to the carb somewhere. The top is the outlet
and goes to the carbon canister. Older cars without smog stuff had
a vented cap.

> On the suspension parts, I thought that the ball joint was on the
 > tie rod end, and that if there's other play that he was complaining
 > about, it's probably caused by a worn kingpin.  I don't know what
 > he was looking (or feeling) for when he did the test, but can
 > someone describe how to test for worn suspension parts?  I was
 > thinking about putting in rebuilt swivel axels ($429.95 from Proper MG)
 > and new front springs and bushings anyway, so if that's what I need to
 > fix this problem, I won't be too  unhappy.

That's what you need to do. A ball joint is a more modern interpretation
  of connecting the front wheels to the car. The tech just didn't know
that 'Bs have the old kingpin setup.

That's certainly the easiest way to solve the problem. Since you doing
that, put new tie-rod ends in on both sides, a set is only like $15.

Put in V8 or poly bushes. I did all poly from the crossmember mounts to
the upper kingpin. And anti-camber a-arms. I like the results.

You might check the condition of the kingpin before hand. Maybe it's
just a bit low on grease. Which actually probably means it's been over
heated and is on the way to failure anyway. And when that happens, often
the a-arm's get ovaled out and you'll have to replace them too.

Jack up the front end and look at the backside. Move the wheels thru
the range of motion, it should be smooth the whole way.

I have some dis-organized pictures of my job from last year at
http://horton.iaces.com/mg/suspension

Check the boots on the steering rack. They aren't much either, and if
you're tearing that much appart up there, this is a good time.

> With the plugged venting system, what's the best way to test for that?
 > I've been smelling fuel odors when I drive, so maybe it's connected
somehow.
 > I had redone the carbon cannisters not too long ago, but there might be
 > something plugged somewhere.

Oh, I guess it's not the carbon canisters. Ok, check the lines going
from the carbon canister back to the trunk and the absorbtion canister
and into the fuel tank. You should be able to use lung power to blow
through them easily (I can't :-(, that's a job for this spring). It goes
under the car at the firewall near the carbon cans and up at the front
right of the trunk at that little fitting.

And yes. I think those are connected.

> At least I can drive the car for 60 days without worrying about being pulled
 > over; the old sticker expired in September, but the car wasn't
running then.
 > I've been driving it while my wife's car is in the shop, and it's not too
 > bad with the snow coming in the windows (when I decided that I didn't
need
 > to fix the heater, I forgot that I wouldn't have a defroster either).  I
 > just wish I had installed the radio.  Good thing spring is coming.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Steve Shoyer (1980 MGB, garage only 9 months away!)

Steve,
        What email program are you using. I had to reformat every paragraph as
it didn't wrap. Took me 3 times longer to do this email
because of it.

Paul.
'77B

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd N.E., Fl 1S    PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155