Re: Tire Wisdom Sought

To: jello@ida.net
Subject: Re: Tire Wisdom Sought
From: Carl French <leylandauto@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:40:06 -0800 (PST)
This thread ran earlier this week on the same subject.
Carl

14th March 2000. Version 4.0 now in use.  The Archive is now fully integrated.
Please report any problems.
 The recent access problems are now resolved - these affected LBCarCo and other
associated services
  Silverstone coverage 16-18 June 2000
There will be some scheduled downtime this afternoon, whilst we upgrade this
server.
-->This BBS will be unavailable Saturday 29th March, 8-noon GMT -->MGA [input]
 [input]   [input]  Jump to:  MG Car CompanyMG Z SaloonsMGs Events and Social
UKMGF GeneralMGF TechnicalMGB GeneralMGB TechnicalMidget and Sprite
GeneralMidget and Sprite TechnicalT Series TD-TFT Series TA,TB,TCMGCMetro
Montego MaestroModified Metro Montego MaestroTwin cam 16v K ser - Midgets and
B'sMGB-GT V-8s and V-8 ConversionsMG RV8MagnetteMG 1100 and 1300 Sports
SedansMG Y-typePre-WarNewsletter Editor's ForumQuestionsBargain AlertsLe Forum
des FrancophonesMG TriviaLead fuel substitutesHistorical ResearchHorizonMG QUIZ
PAGEMG Electrical Problems and SolutionsMG Flame WarsTransport
America-NetherlandsMG interchangeable partsFuel pricesSubject indexThe Archive
[input]   Thread: TiresPosted 25 March 2003 at 23:36:02 UK time Richard, New
Yor
I need tires for my A. Michelin no longer makes 165 R 15 tires and I was just
informed that
Dunlop also discontinued this size. Can anyone recommend a brand that still
makes this size?
Posted 26 March 2003 at 00:06:48 UK time mike,
Kelly tire has this size at a reasonable price. If you plan on other than
touring you should choose a tire rated equal or better than Michelin.
Posted 26 March 2003 at 00:31:13 UK time Jim, Wisconsin,USA
Hi Richard.
I just bought some Centred 165R15 tires from my local tire guy. They are no big
name, but for my driving the price was right. Five tires mounted and tax for
$375. Coker tire has michelin xzx at $124 plus shipping and you still have to
mount them. I wanted Michelins also but I can not put $650 plus in tires.
Check out WWW.Coker.com WWW.Britishwirewheel.com WWWHendrixwirewheel.com
I think Cooper also makes that size. Also check out special orders with Sears
and Sam's.
I hope this is some help.
Jim
Posted 26 March 2003 at 01:17:00 UK time raymond sanders, West Virginia, USA,
I think cooper tire still makes 165/r15's black wall only
Posted 26 March 2003 at 02:04:09 UK time Ed Bell, Oregon, USA,
Check with the local independant tire dealers. I got a set of 165R-15 tires
quite reasonable. It is the same size that fits some VW bugs. The major brands
don't seem to think it's worth their time to carry sizes that are not used in
great quantitys.
Posted 26 March 2003 at 02:15:25 UK time Bill Young, Kansas City,MO,
Check around for a Vredestein dealer. (Web site www.vredestein.com) They make a
series called the Sprint Classic which has many of the sizes for A's and TR's.
Prices run a little over $100 per tire for a 185 HR 15.
Posted 26 March 2003 at 21:18:23 UK time Jeff Schultz, North Carolina, USA
Richard,
PepBoys sells a 165r15. I haven't tried them, but they looked OK in the store,
and they were not expensive. I have heard that their tires were made by Cooper.

http://www.pepboys.com/tires_wheels/economy/futura_euro_metric.html

Posted 27 March 2003 at 01:27:42 UK time Michael, USA
I think the Kelly tires mentioned earlier are Kelly Metric radials. I bought 5
of their 165R15 for about $40 each. Since we are not driving these cars in the
rain or snow, these tires are good enough and very reasonably priced.
Posted 28 March 2003 at 19:04:35 UK time